Thursday, May 1, 2014

Writing a Screenplay Part 2

This week we are finishing up our screenplays, the homework is to finish #5-7 on the list from last week. I have warned all the students that the plays can not be violent, and no guns are allowed. Each play needs to be 5-10 minutes long. Below is a page taken from the screenplay for Annie Jr. As you can see the name of the person speaking is listed first, followed by their lines and some stage directions as well, hopefully clarify how to write lines.

Warbucks- I'll get back to him tomorrow. Anyone else?
Grace- John D. Rockfeller, Mahatma Gandhi, and Harpo Marx.
Warbucks- Nothing urgent. What did Harpo want?
Grace- He didn't say. (Grace tries to introduce Annie)
            Mr.Warbucks, I'd like you to meet....
Warbucks- Oh, and Mrs. Pugh...
Mrs. Pugh- New England Clam Chowder, Kentucky fried...
Warbucks- I won't be having dinner tonight. I've got hours of paperwork to get through.
Mrs. Pugh- Yes, sir.
Warbucks- All right, good to see you all again.
Servants- Sir.
Warbucks- Drake, dismiss the staff.
Drake- Yes, sir. (servants exit stage left)
Warbucks- And, Grace, if you'll get your notebook... Who is that? (looking at Annie for the 1st time)
Grace- This is Annie, Mr. Warbucks: the orphan who will be with us for Christmas.
Warbucks- That's not a boy. Orphans are boys.
Grace- I'm sorry, sir, you just said "orphan". So I chose a girl.
Warbucks- Well, I suppose she'll have to do. (Frowningly approaching Annie, assessing her)
                  Annie, huh? Annie what?
Annie- (nervously) Oh, I'm just Annie, Mr. Warbucks, sir. I haven't got any last name. I'm sorry I'm not               a boy.

We will start performing next week, I'm sure it will take two weeks to get through all the plays. Remember that no one needs to buy anything for the plays. If you have some kind of recording device that your child can bring to record their play that would be fun. I will try to record parts of each play.

New Greek words:
ena-1
theeo- 2
dreea-3
dessera-4
bende-5
exee- 6
efta- 7
ochto-8
ennya- 9
thega- 10


No comments:

Post a Comment