Thursday, March 27, 2014

Parachuting Out of a Plane to an Unknown Destination

This week we finished up our family history unit. It was fun to hear so many stories about your families. Please make sure to keep these stories, they will become a treasure to your family.

 In order to keep things exciting in class I pushed everyone out of an airplane this week. They had a parachute and $10 U.S. in their pocket. They landed in exotic places all over the world. Each student had to read up on their destination and then they wrote and action story that took place in that exotic location. I was amazed at how much some of them sold their parachutes for and how cheap hotel rooms were. Overall they used their imaginations to create some wonderful stories.

We also decided to see if we are divergent geniuses; this means how many different ways can we think of to use one object. This week it is a paperclip. The goal is to see how many ways can the student, on their own, can come up with to use this paperclip. I will give them 1 ticket for every 15 uses.

I didn't give out any new Greek or Latin words this week, but we did take a test.
I gave them 5 words and they had to figure out which 2 Greek or Latin words are at the root of the word, what they each mean, and what the word means in English. We have been doing this for the last 3 weeks and it is a challenge, but it will benefit them greatly in their future studies.
These are the words that were on the quiz this week: hypothermia, philanthropist, supervise, manufacture, hippopotamus.

No comments:

Post a Comment